December 6, 2013

Bittersweet

About a week after we got home from Boston I got a devastating message from my sister.  As her story is not mine to share the gist of it is that her husband has decided he wanted a divorce just shy of their 10th anniversary.  At that moment, I was heartbroken for her and the kids and cursed the amount of land that was between Portland and Dallas.  I had to go down there, even though there was nothing I could do to make it better, I just wanted to be there for her.  My dad was going down to make sure his baby girl was protected and squared away.

I am so grateful to work at a place that values family above all.  I told my boss what was happening and she said "family before work, go be with your sister."  What a blessing she is!

So it wouldn't be a good travel story without one of my plane experiences thrown in.  I was a little concerned that I would be pulled aside when I checked in because I had just bought the airline ticket the day before and not with my credit card, thank you dad!, and I had also bought my dad's ticket with him leaving from a different airport in a different state.  I figured there would be lights and questioning but there was nothing.  I sailed right through.

I get myself all nice and drugged up and board the plane.  I get an unaccompanied minor sitting next to me.  I looked over at him and thought, "Dude, you are on your own.  I hope you don't expect me to be all motherly because I am a quivering sack of jello when I fly so good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor."  I fall asleep and wake up an hour later and we are STILL at the gate!"  I look over at little dude and he just shrugs his shoulders.  Eventually the captain comes on and says that the passenger list doesn't match the passenger manifest.  Fantastic.  There is a "terrorist" aboard or not aboard.  They wouldn't tell us which.  The captain continues that they are going to be performing a roll call.  Like in elementary school.  Fun!  Can we play "Heads up 7up" when we are done?  The flight attendant goes seat by seat saying a name and then the person in that seat says yes or no.  This did not seem very effective or safe to me.  Shouldn't we be matching up id's to the list instead of a yes or no?  They get to me and they don't have my name.  Ha!  I'm one of the "terrorists."  She stood there looking confused so I just handed her my boarding pass and she said "ok" and moved on.  Again, this doesn't seem very effective or safe to me.  Eventually enough people said yes so we were on our way.

The bitter was the circumstance but the sweet was I got to spend some time with my sister, dad, nieces, and nephew.  Oh, I also got addicted to southern sweet tea.  Yummy and oh so very sweet!

No comments: